Tuesday, April 23, 2013


I haven't written in such a long time!
Last year at this time I was working on my Ruby Ritz ebook, and trying to figure out how to get it in the correct form for publishing on Amazon. Then, I had to scramble to design rubyritz.com. I was working for about 9 months on sketches and illustrations for a children's book, and now the whole thing has to be designed. And then it has to be shopped around, so we'll see what happens....
Right now I guess I'm in one of those percolating phases. The above is a page from my sketchbook. There's a left side to it, which I did first, but I like the way this one came out on it's own. I like the mix of the watercolor & the collage elements. I would love to get some illustration work, and am trying to find a representative. I'd also love to get some DESIGN work, like picnic sets--plates napkins, and tablecloths. It's so difficult to get to all these publishers and art directors and companies with one's portfolio, and it would be great to get some representation. I've never had a rep before, and have never really even tried to get one. But, it's such a VERY long shot. In the meantime, I'm going to do some new paintings, and I need to organize Ruby Ritz into print form.
Last weekend I went to a wonderful Arts Workshop, called ROC, at Drew University. It was presented by Morris Arts. My husband David gave a workshop on Writing, and I went to one on Animation. It was given by Martha Colburn, who's an AMAZING animator and filmmaker. It was so inspiring seeing her very hand done films that all had big subjects, like war and addiction. The artwork was great... she used cut outs from magazines and books that she painted and made into puppets, and she also painted her backgrounds. I had been thinking about animation for some time, and now I really want to get a camera, and just make a one minute movie. Just something silly and light and fun to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment